With the eHealth Lab, Fraunhofer FOKUS offers a powerful environment for modeling, development, testing and optimization of electronic systems for the health care sector. The quality, interoperability, networking, security and scalability of new IT infrastructures and software solutions can be ensured, even before their first practical use or their market launch.
For operators and developers of eHealth processes, the laboratory offers the possibility to ensure the efficiency of new applications and communication infrastructures – even before these are offered as a product on the market or before they are used in your own infrastructure. The test methods and procedures that are used in the eHealth Lab, are based on the actual IT standards for eHealth applications and architectures:
- HL7 protocol stack (v2 und v3) – Definition of standard message formats and interchange protocols for the information interchange within standardized medical information systems (HIS)
- IHE profiles that allow the involved parties in the health care sector to exchange patient-related data (e.g. between the cardiology and the radiology departments)
- Data exchange in the electronic health record (EHR) or medical record (EPR, CCR or EMR) (The technologies that are used in the eHealth Lab are a part of the electronic health records that are planned in Germany)
- Support of further standards (e.g. DICOM in development)
For the development of the text scenarios, the experts at Fraunhofer FOKUS use the modeling language UML. That way, the different involved parties can be seamlessly integrated into the test methods and the interactions of the parties within the tested procedures and processes can be simulated.
Results from current FOKUS research and development activities like the Connectathon events are directly integrated into the test and software environment of the eHealth Lab. Furthermore, Fraunhofer FOKUS is represented in international standardization bodies and actively contributes to the definition and specification of international standards.
- Partner-network for the exchange of experience
- Analysis and assessment of medical information systems and devices
- Consulting on the specification, development and testing of automated work processes
- Prototypical integration of medical information systems and devices
- Design, modeling and specification of automated work processes
- Conformity, interoperability, security and performance tests of components and (sub-) systems in networked medical environments
- Support and carrying out of tests at test-events like Connectathon
- Demonstration of networked medical information systems and devices
- Demonstration of the test solutions